Seattle: One newspaper town

Seattle P-I put up for sale

It was announced a little after noon today, when the P-I staff was having their noon meeting. Basically from here, it means the complete end of the print edition of the P-I, and slim chance of reduced staff web only presence. KING-TV broke the story yesterday; I had a friend that was in an art gallery yesterday and saw the P-I Arts Critic proclaiming the end of her job and the oldest Seattle institution (since 1863. Chief Seattle was still alive, Lincoln hadn't been assassinated yet, the Civil War would still go on for another 2 years). I also listened to David Horsey, the P-I's editorial cartoonist talk on Weekday with Steve Scher this morning, professing fear and lack of information over the situation.

The death of old media is harsh. More analysis later; I'm still at work.

2009 has been a tumultuous year so far for Seattle.
-Death threats sent to Cap Hill gay bars
-4,500 to be layed off from Boeing
-More frequent violent crime and murder
1.Chop Suey concert shooting
2.Miles Murphy
3.Pioneer Square
-Massive flooding across the state
-Budget cuts for all kinds of government services and schools; schools are also closing

1 replies:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Carolina!

I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can't wait
to
take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic blog!

My page :: Blackpeoplemeet Scams